Thorpe Marsh Power Station.
After construction started in 1959, commissioning started in 1963 and carried on until 1965, this 1 gig coal fired power station was to be the prototype for all large power stations built in the UK. It Had 2 generating sets powered by coal and a gas turbine based on an industrial version of Rolls Royce Avon Engine.
It was originally operated by the Central Electricity Generating Board but after privatisation in 1990 it was operated by National Power. In 1994 the power station closed and the 45 acre site was abandoned.
Much of the power station has since been demolished and now its six cooling towers each 100 m high and 79 m in diameter at the base, two ash slurry hoppers and railway sidings are the only remaining buildings.
There have been several proposals for the site, which include a car distribution depot and a landfill site, both of which have not proven popular with the local residents.
Copyright applies to all images.