Millbrook Goods Yard.
In 1932, a private railway siding was added on a loop of the LNWR Line at Millbrook, known as the Micklehurst Loop to serve Hartshead Power Station in order to facilitate the handling of coal.
The sidings were capable of holding some 130, 10 -12 ton wagons with provision for 100 full and 30 empty. A fireless steam locomotive, which is charged with steam through a pipeline at a pressure of 200 psi, was used for shunting purposes and the locomotive could travel 9 miles with one charge.
There were two 20 wagon tippers, and modern automatic weighbridges, meaning incorrect weighing of coal was impossible.
The coal was fed into an underground hopper before being transported by an underground conveyor to an overhead enclosed conveyor which ran over the River Tame and Huddersfield Canal to the power station.
The loop closed in 1968 but the sidings continued in use until 1975 when Hartshead power station finally closed.
Copyright applies to all images.