Middleport Flint Mill.
The Flint Mill (Calcining Works) dating from the 1870s, comprises of four groups of buildings surrounding a courtyard space which was once a wharf on the Trent and Mersey Canal.
The sites original form is barely evident from the extent of alteration and extension to the buildings, however, the key elements for the processing of flint can be seen in the pattern of development continuous from the 1870s up to its last recorded use as a Flint Mill in 1972.
In 1878 the canal side was still a wharf but by 1900 this area was completely filled with a two storey range which was probably used for loading/unloading and storage of raw materials and finished powders direct from the Trent and Mersey canal.
The ground floor area is the oldest section built in 'fire proof' construction, with shallow brick arches resting on cast iron metal girders and cast iron metal posts.
Copyright applies to all images.