Originally built in 1886-1888, it was designed by Hull based Benjamin S. Jacobs, an asylum specialist and built in the corridor plan. It was built in red brick, in a neo-Jacobean style, a much favoured design for public institutions and was a massive structure, grouped symmetrically around four internal courtyards. the interior consisted of large, airy dormitories and wards.
The main buildings were an administration block to the north (the main entrance) and on the south side, most of the wards, which were positioned so as to catch the sun at some time of each day, facing only east, south or west.
The more elaborate central block was built in darker brickwork and housed the assembly hall, with a chapel above it, which boasted a fine, open steelwork, trussed roof. Extensions were added in 1891, 1901 and 1902 to cope with the increasing population of the area. A new bakehouse was built in 1908 and in 1915 further extensions were added.
There was a model farm on the site where selected patients could work in order to endow their lives with some purpose. After the war, in 1948, the hospital and associated buildings passed to the NHS, which made further additions, half the farm buildings were demolished leaving the rest for storage.
The hospital finally closed in 2009.
Copyright applies to all images.