Kelvedon Hatch Bunker.
Built in 1952 as part of the RAF ROTOR air defense project, it was to control the London Sector of RAF Fighter Command. It is situated 38 meters underground and is entered through a very ordinary looking bungalow situated amongst trees in the Essex countryside. After walking the 90 or so meters along a tunnel, you enter the bunker at the lowest of the 3 levels that make up the bunker. Fresh clean air is supplied by an air conditioning plant and fresh water is via mains supply and a deep bore hole, generators supply the electricity and the bunker is able to sustain itself for up to 3 months.
Upon the demise of the ROTOR project in the 1960's, it was incorporated into the Home Office 'Regional Seat of Government' and later it was to become the 'Regional Government Headquarters until the early 1990's. It was able to accommodate hundreds of civilian and military personnel.
In the event of a nuclear war these establishments would have to organise the local population and continue the governments work. The bunker was finally decommissioned in 1992 and sold to the original land owners.
Copyright applies to all images.