Holme Bank Chert Mine.
Holme Bank mine was opened in early 1800 and worked up to 1960.
There are many workings within the site and it is notable for the large packwalls used to support the roof after the chert beds had been removed. It later became known as Smith’s Mine after a later owner who operated the mine, they also manufactured Davie blocks on the site for building and continued to do so on site up to about 1995.
Copyright applies to all images.