The village of Clipstone, was built on the site of Clipstone Army Camp in 1926 by the Bolsover Mining Company. It was built as a model village with the latest housing and facilities to provide accommodation and recreation for the mineworkers.
The colliery was sunk to exploit the Barnsley seam or 'Tophard', as it was known locally. In the 1950's the shafts were deepened to over 1000 yards (920 m) to exploit other seams.
The colliery was closed by British Coal, as the National Coal Board had become, in 1993 and reopened by RJB Mining (now UK Coal) in April 1994, the licence to dig for coal being limited to the Yard seam which is located at a depth of 957 yards (870 m). At around 200 feet, the headstocks of the colliery are regarded as the tallest in Europe and the third tallest in the world. They are Grade 2 Listed structures and can be seen from all over the district.
The colliery was finally closed in April 2003. The local residents have called for their demolition.
Copyright applies to all images.